Friday, June 12, 2015

Why hasn't the scale moved?

Here I was, panicking!  It is almost the middle of the month, and I haven't lost gotten rid of one pound this month!  I couldn't believe it!  Then it hit me.  Almost every night, I have awakened and eaten a handful (or two) of  dry roasted peanuts!  Of course, I wasn't tracking this midnight eating. That means that every single day, I was going over on my calories as well as my carbs.  

I did some research and found that eating in the Middle of the night is called Nocturnal Eating Disorder .  If you find yourself doing this, it is important to do a check-in to make sure you are emotionally and physically healthy.  I know for sure my Nocturnal Eating is the result of stress and not taking time out for myself.  That changes today.  It is counter-productive to sabotage all of my hard work. 

It is  important to track every single thing that is going into your body.  If  you are serious about getting healthy, you will need to have real goals that you follow.  For me, I try to stay within 50 grams of carbs and 15-25 grams of sugar per day.  I do not know the carb and sugar count of everything I eat, and I definitely won't remember everything that I ate for the day.  I MUST track my foods religiously.  If not, I will be going over my goals.  Not only can I stall my weight loss, but I can gain as well.  


*Note:  With Nocturnal Eating Disorder, you are fully aware that you are awake and eating.  .  There is a similar eating disorder called Sleep-Related Eating Disorder.  Whit this particular disorder, you are not actually aware that you are eating in the middle of the night.  

Signs to watch for with both disorders are: 
  • Lack or appetite in the morning
  • Unexplained weight gain
  • Noticing that things are different in  your kitchen (food missing, dishes out, etc.)

With signs of either disorder, you will want to consult your doctor.  These signs can be warning of a more serious underlying health disorder.  

I have had a full check-up and everything is perfectly fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment